Skip to main content

Hollywood Reporter Interview with Joe Madureira and new Battle Chasers 10 Artwork by Ludo Lullabi

Joe Madureira did a small interview with The Hollywood Reporter about the in-progress continuation of Battle Chasers 10-12 written by Joe and drawn by Ludo Lullabi. I'll pull out some of the highlights below.

About Battle Chasers 10:

The new comic is due to hit by year’s end, once again from publisher Image Comics, and will be followed monthly by no. 11 and no. 12, with a goal to tell a complete story arc. Madureira is writing the comic but, as opposed to the previous issues, not drawing. Instead, he handed those duties to Ludo Lullabi, whom he discovered while making 2017’s Battle Chasers: Nightwar role playing game. He does plan on drawing variant covers, however.

And to whet appetites, the return issue will be 32 pages, no ads. "I just want to make a cool comic that people talk about," Madureira says. "It may be a little more edgier, a bit more mature than before. I’m curious to see how it will be received."

About Battle Chasers delays; past and present:

Madureira says the tardiness was due to personal and professional reasons. Plus, he admits being undisciplined and just being too young. "Not having the pressure and editor of big company breathing down my neck was a factor. It was a slippery slope, having all that creative freedom. It wasn't a good thing. I'm sure people were not happy about that."

And after a certain point, Madureira simply stopped working on it, turning to his other passion, video games. He was 26 and ready for a break – "I didn’t know how long that would be but I assumed I would come back in a year or two," he says of his thinking at the time of his departure. He was, in many ways, done.

About Battle Chasers Kickstarter promises:

One of the rewards promised was new issues. The game came out in 2017, the comic…well, Madureira knows he has scheduling issues.

"I know I can’t commit to a monthly book," Madureira says, which is why he enlisted Lullabi, and why he wants most of the arc done before he puts the book out. "I don’t want to screw this launch up."

About Airship Syndicates Current Projects:

The company is currently working on two games, one called Ruined King: A League of Legends Story, and one unannounced.

source: The Hollywood Reporter

Also, some new pages from Battle Chasers 10 were posted with that article, drawn by Ludo Lullabi and featuring Garrison, as well as Maestros’s gang fighting Akiman which look great! I have also attached some Red Monika costume design concepts recently done by Ludo as well.

Battle Chasers 10 Comic Page featuring Akiman fighting Maestros gang of villians.

Battle Chasers 10 Comic Page Artwork of Garrison Exploring his home

Red Monika Costume Exploration Art by Ludo Lullabi

Red Monika from Battle Chasers Costume Exploration by Ludo Lullabi


← Next Previous →

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Art Advice 2.0 from Joe Madureira

Joe Madureira has continued voicing his art advice with details on what gear he uses, his influences, and skills needed for working in the game or comic industry. Art Advice 2.0 Now for the specific art questions I do get very often:   1-I use a technical pencil with HB lead 99% of the time. Staedler, Koo-in-oor, Prismacolor Turquoise, it’s all good. Take your pick. I use them all. Sometimes I work on paper that’s a little different ( smoother or more coarse ) and I may move up or down to an H or a B lead if needed. But I find H and 2H digs into the pap er and is too hard to erase ( Which sadly I do a lot of ) and B is too soft ( smudges like a mofo.) B is fantastic for going back over lines, darkening , and adding weight to your lines. Basically, ‘inking’ with a pencil. **Just keep a sheet of scrap paper under your hand or you will smudge the shit out of your drawing!!!** HB suits my needs 99% of the time. Really no need to switch it out, just adjust your pressure. Harder or lig

50th Anniversary of the X-Men

Marvel is releasing a poster to commemorate the 50th Anniversary of the X-Men. Joe Madureira's art is featured at the bottom. It's repurposed artwork but it's a cool poster none the less.

NYCC Battle Chasers Sketches

Joe Madureira has finished his two new Battle Chasers sketches for the New York Comic Con. They'll be 11x17 prints available in Artists Alley table L2. Signing times are 10:30am-12:00pm and 3:00pm-4:30pm Friday-Sunday during the New York Comic Con. Joe also answered a few questions about the prints. 1) Yes, Monika's boobs have gotten a little smaller (!) 2) Poor Garrison was going to be featured in his own print, but I didn't have time, and he ruined the composition of the team shot. So--I promise I'll do one of him for the next show. I didn't forget him! 3) I will look into some sort of online store where you can buy stuff without going to a convention. 4) These two particular prints are grayscale and resemble penciled line art on an 11x17 bristol board. Ie. It looks like pencils. I will have 3 other full color prints available that some of you may have seen at SDCC. 5) Yes, I do hope to get back to Battle Chasers someday. I do still love these characters, whi